In the summer, I love to eat fresh tasting food that is nice and cold on a hot Tennessee day. I have never made ceviche before, so I thought I would try this right after we had gotten back from our cruise. Mexico was our last stop so I guess I was inspired! This was the perfect light meal to detox a little and still enjoy it. I’m allergic to shrimp so I used tilapia. I’m sure you can substitute the tilapia for any other white fish, shrimp or even scallops. Make yourself a margarita, take the ceviche to the porch and play some Reggae. You’ll feel like you are in the Caribbean!
- TILAPIA CEVICHE
- 1-2 pieces tilapia (depending on size), cooked and cut into small chunks
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 limes, freshly squeezed
- 1 tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 avocados, halved, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 1/8 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Small tostadas
After cooking tilapia, cut or pull into small chunks. Mix together lime juice and onion and pour on top of fish. Leave it to marinate in the refrigerator while you prepare the other ingredients. Chop tomatoes, avocado, cucumber and cilantro and mix together. Add veggies to the fish. Sprinkle the top with salt, pepper and garlic powder then mix together, adding as needed. Place ceviche in a small bowl and serve with tostadas or tortilla chips and a lime wedge.