Alison and I were on a bit of blog vacation last week, so we are back are ready to tackle the holidays! Thanksgiving meals may be beginning this week for some (it is for me) and if you've been working hard to not eat junk and work out regularly, you inwardly groan when you know there will be plenty of delicious goodies to partake for the rest of the year. Here are a few tips that may help you enjoy the season while keeping your waistline in check.
1) Get in a morning workout. Most people have Thanksgiving meals either at lunch or dinner, so you have the entire morning to go for a run or get in at least a 30 minute sweat session. You will be less likely to eat more later in the day if you have made a point to be healthy at the beginning of the day
2) Go for the veggies. Make a point to eat what you know is good for you, like sweet potatoes, squash, carrots and of course turkey.
3) Use a spoonful for a measure. Just get a little bit of each dish so that you get to taste everything but are sticking to a serving size or even less. If you really like something, go back for seconds.
4) Talk! Talking more makes you realize that you are full when you actually are rather than shoveling in mouthfuls of dressing.
5) Plan a game. Get outside and run around with kids or play a game of touch football-anything that gets you moving after eating. Even just going for a walk with the family is a great way for post-meal exercise.
6) Drink water after your meal. Flush out your system with lots of liquids. Try to just sip during your meal so that you aren't creating bloat.
7) Offer to bring a dish. Bring a healthy option to your dinner so that you know you can at least have one healthy thing!
8) Don't stress! If you overeat, don't stress. Let that be your cheat day and get back on track the next day!
9) Do a cleanse! Either before or after your big meal, consider doing a juice cleanse just for a day to empty out your system and flush out toxins. Plus, you'll be way more thankful to eat what you're eating during the big meal but your stomach will be used to smaller portions so you won't want to be so full.
10) Wear fitted pants. You're already aware of the waistband so you will definitely be aware of when you overeat! I never thought that trick worked until I tried it once-oh yeah, it does!