It wasn't too long ago that I learned of my strong like for beets and not long after that, my love for roasted beets in my grilled cheese. Should I be sharing a new idea with you, be prepared to fall in love.
2 slices of bread (Flour Head Bakery White Bread is fantastic)
2 beets (peeled, sliced and roasted - I like mixing red and golden beets)
1/2 small onion (thinly sliced)
1 large kale or swish chard leave (chiffonade cuts work best)
2-3 tbs goat cheese (room temp or slightly warmed for easier spreading)
1 slice mozzarella cheese
butter for grilling
- Roast beets in 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes wrapped in aluminum foil pouch (drizzle with olive oil for roasting)
- Toss onion and greens in together in olive oil and roast in the oven at the same temperature for 5-10 minutes
- Spread the goat cheese on your bread
- Place the mozzarella on one side of the bread (I usually put a little more goat cheese on one half to hold the veggies a little better and put the mozzarella on the other half) and the roasted veggies on the other half
- Place the sandwich on the buttered griddle and cover with a cookware lid to hold the heat in for ooey gooey cheese meltage...flip...